This is where my confusion stemmed from.

I'm not sure I was aware of the fact there were 2 OAuth login flows,
"web flow" versus "sign in with Twitter".

As soon as I flipped the boolean in my PHP include for OAuth to set
sign_in_with_twitter = FALSE, so that it would use /authorize instead
of /authenticate (sign in with twitter), I then saw the correct
permissions on the login page.

I'm not sure this is obvious to many devs (it wasn't to me), that
there was a difference.  I just happened to use / assume "sign in with
twitter" was the only web based login available after the
implementation of OAuth.

What are the implications / reasons for using one method over the
other?  They seem to essentially do the same exact thing / accomplish
the same exact goal.