If you've not already done so....   (Assuming you're using XP)

Make an "Exception" in Windows Firewall settings, for your application
(exe file name) and the port number it listens on.   Especialy if it
needs to accept incoming data from outside the physical (or virtual) PC.

*Usually* XP's "Windows firewall" does not affect anything communicating
locally with the "Localhost" address (127.0.0.1)

But it's a common trip point, when things work locally, but not when
part is running on another PC.

Another hint, use different ports to listen on, and talk with.  That
helps enormously when poth parts of the scheme are on the same physical
PC.

Even if you are trying to communicate between two PC's, their firewall's
only need to know about their "Incoming" data ports, they will pass
outgoing traffic with no problem.

That relates to XP's own internal (Windows) firewall, in general if you
use something else (instead of, or as well as) it may need to be set to
allow "outgoing" traffic as well, Zone Alarm is one such, though that
will popup and tell you if something is trying to send stuff to the
"internet"...

Note!  If you have ZoneAlarm, even if you "Disable" the ZA firewall at
boot time, it has a habit of blocking everything, as all you disable is
the client, not the service, and it seems if the service is running in
the background, but you've not let the client start, it blocks stuff by
default.  Safe, but so frustrating at times!..

UDP, fun when it works, less so when it doesn't!

This mail has been scanned by Palmer Cook Computer Services Limited.
www.palmercook.co.uk