On 7/28/2026 3:21 PM, Paul Eggert via tz wrote:
On 2026-07-28 11:19, Brooks Harris wrote:
I think the better approach is permanent standard time. If that came about it's a very simple technical matter of just stopping DST and everything flows fairly naturally from there. The Committee should also be aware how that option would greatly simplify technical issues. Am I right about that?

In any hypothetical conversions with Senate staff I am not planning to advocate whether to go to permanent standard time, or move one time zone east (a.k.a. "permanent daylight saving"), or doing nothing - other than perhaps the obvious point that doing nothing is simplest technically. I don't want these larger issues to drown out the importance of a year's notice of any timekeeping changes. As I understand it we're united on needing a good long notice, even if we may disagree on which timekeeping change, if any, is advisable; and I want to focus on where there is pretty much universal technical agreement.

My focus when I contacted my Senator was on setting a good effective date (suggesting November 2027).


I believe many of the efforts against DST (even seasonal DST) have exaggerated the harm and downplayed any benefits. Often relying on assumptions and articles that when fact checked turn out to be inaccurate. Some of the examples would be humorous if the speakers were not trying to be serious.

BTW: S. 29 was heard in the Senate Committee on Commerce, Science, and Transportation last year ... approved 16-12 with an amendment by Senator Ted Cruz to make it effective in two years.

The vote can be found near the 60 minute mark of this video:

https://www.congress.gov/event/119th-congress/senate-event/336893

(Senator Young of Indiana offered an amendment to "lock the clock" on standard time and then withdrew his amendment.)

Reply via email to