On 2026-07-28 04:24 PM, Tim Parenti wrote:
On Tue, 28 Jul 2026 at 15:49, Brooks Harris via tz<[email protected]>  wrote:

I wasn't advocating for permanent standard time. I was only asking, "is
that technically easier then the Sunshine Protective Act."?

Not really any more or less technically fraught than any other potential
change, frankly.  Since the Sunshine Protection bill exempts states that
have already exempted themselves from DST, the delta on a "permanent
standard time" bill would affect the same set of US zone identifiers.
They'd all still be adopting a new fixed year-round offset, the only
difference would be in what that fixed offset is.

--
Tim Parenti

Seems to me all you need to do is stop DST in "US":

Rule    US    2007    2027    -    Mar    Sun>=8    2:00 1:00    D
Rule    US    2007    max    -    Nov    Sun>=1    2:00    0    S

Far as I can see this would propagate through most all USA time zones, wouldn't it?

Take America/New_York, the last era line need not be changed:
-5:00    US    E%sT

This would result in the POSIX abbreviation "EST", just what you want, I think. Similarly for other time zones.

Downstream systems would, should, follow the TzDb instructions. Seems an awfully lot easier than permanent DST.

Of coarse there is the issue of Canada and Mexico deciding to follow the USA. But those too are simpler to implement, if and when they came about, isn't it?

What am I missing?

Reply via email to