On 7/30/2026 12:00 PM, Brooks Harris via tz wrote:
 I do think ''permanent standard time' would be the better approach to ending DST for a few reasons; A) it would put us in sync with the majority of humanity who do not observe DST, B) it results in the most natural daylight hours, C) it avoids the "kids in the dark" problem, and D) it's much easier for TzDb and downstream to implement.

If the US ends seasonal DST we will be a country that does not observe DST. Not observing DST does not mean re-adjusting the clocks back to a degrees from solar noon standard. For example, Saskatchewan Canada "has not observed DST" since 1960 but they set their clocks forward before stopping the changes. This year British Columbia, Alberta and Northwest Territories decided to follow and stop observing seasonal DST after setting forward their clock. Yukon Canada set their clocks forward and "locked the clock" twice. They started out as -09 and are now at -07. What daylight hours are "natural" is an opinion. If one looks at a graphic showing the offset of "solar noon" from "clock face noon" you will see more of the world letting solar noon occur closer to 1pm or 2pm clock face time than at 11am. [1] The "kids in the dark" could be applied to morning darkness or late afternoon darkness. Arguably people are better drivers in the afternoon (unless they are rushing around trying to get something done before an early sunset?).

It is much more convenient to work with full hour offsets than a system where clocks could be minutes apart due to arbitrary obedience to a "solar noon". Imagine a "9am" morning meeting that would occur halfway between sunrise and solar noon every day. If that meeting involved other cities one would need to decide which city's sunrise and solar noon would be followed. The current time zones do that, breaking away from a sunrise/sunset based standard and following a fraction of a rotation standard (an hour is 1/24 of a rotation, a minute is 1/1440 of a rotation, etc.). It is also a lot more convenient for engineers who do not have to design a clock that would follow the drift of solar noon throughout the year. Define sunrise as 6am every day and sunset as 6pm every day and divide that in to "hours" and "minutes" then build a timepiece that is accurate? Modern time zones are a lot easier to implement.


Indeed TzDb and downstream should investigate implementing H.R. 139.
I'm in favor of Paul's approach changing FORMAT to the zone's offset. For America/New_York (using 2027 as start date):

# Zone    NAME        STDOFF    RULES    FORMAT    [UNTIL]
Zone America/New_York    -4:56:02 -    LMT    1883 Nov 18 12:03:58
          ....
            -5:00    US    E%sT    2027 Mar  14  2:00
            -4:00    -    -04

I think possibly reinstating FORMAT as "EST" later could be problematic and better to just stay with the FORMAT as the offset.

I'm not nearly expert enough to evaluate all the ramifications in all the downstream CLDRs and systems. I'll be interested to see what others discover.

Software should rely on tzData to determine an offset and when it applies (or applied for historical time stamps). At this point I am curious as to what will break the computers more, having a EST in tzData that is not -05 or having tzData provide -05 or -04 instead of an alpha formatted name abbreviation. Any time we have converted time from a scientific standard such as milliseconds since an agreed on epoch to a less precise form I'd expect (and accept) some errors when using less precise notation.

I consider the "format" field to be a reference. In zone America/New_York locals refer to their time as EST (or EDT 8 months a year). "Eastern Time" year round. EDT is the standard time at this time of year so I occasionally hear "EST" when people mean "EDT". If I looked up America/Vancouver I would hope to see what locals called their time (or what the National Research Council Canada calls the zone).

I don't consider nor expect "-04" to be common use for the eastern US or "-07" to be common use for western Canada. If someone said it was 11:45 -07 instead of 11:45 PDT / 11:45 MST I would probably do bad math and say "it is 4:45?". 14:45 -04? Anyone else thinking 10:45? So people would need to add the UTC to the common use ... 11:45 UTC-07 or 14:45 UTC-04. That works but I don't see that becoming common.

Nearly all of my discussions with vendors and contacts referring to time zones are based on reference cities. When we're setting a meeting we will say New York time or Chicago time because those are more well known than Indianapolis time or Dallas time.

I can see having %z or an explicit "-04" style format to see if that breaks more systems than an EST that does not equal -05 but I hope that the format field would change back to EST once software can handle the legislated time zone (assuming EST is ever legislated as being -04).


[1] https://blog.poormansmath.net/the-time-it-takes-to-change-the-time/ includes a 2015 graphic showing offset from solar noon.



Reply via email to