On Sep 23, 2026, at 12:18 PM, Paul Eggert <[email protected]> wrote:

> Officially it's short for just "Pacific Time",

But not *shortest* for Pacific Time, which would be just PT, but I guess that 
could be interpreted as "Pacific Time as adjusted for daylight saving time" (I 
think two-letter abbreviations have been used in in print in the US, for 
example a TV show starting at "9 ET, 8 CT").

But is that "PaCific Time" or "PacifiC Time"?

> I also understand that PCT was inspired by the phrase "Pacific Coast Time", 
> your first guess.

Hey, if the Sunshine Protection Act passes and is signed into law, you could 
drive down the PCH in PCT. (I'm a bit further from the PCH than you are; I 
think it's just SR1 or Highway 1 up here.)

(Well, at least as I read the Sunshine Protection Act of 2025 - 
https://www.congress.gov/bill/119th-congress/house-bill/139/text - Pacific 
Time/Pacific Standard Time just becomes UTC-07:00 all year around, so we won't 
call it PCT, I guess it's PDT all year around. Damn. I *like* PCT, although, to 
be fair, not everybody's close to the coast.)

Reply via email to