On Wed, 23 Sept 2026 at 19:41, Guy Harris via tz <[email protected]> wrote:

> But not *shortest* for Pacific Time, which would be just PT, but I guess
> that could be interpreted as "Pacific Time as adjusted for daylight saving
> time" (I think two-letter abbreviations have been used in in print in the
> US, for example a TV show starting at "9 ET, 8 CT").


Very common in Canada, too, for much the same reason.  I am just as
interested in how that usage may evolve in the coming weeks as almost
anything else.  But yes, "PT" always would have been ambiguous even in the
best case, and of course for our purposes POSIX requires a minimum of 3
characters.

Anecdotally, I loosely follow a couple Vancouver-based content creators who
offer various synchronous events.  When announcing times, one usually just
writes "Pacific" in emails, while another routinely says the letters
"P.S.T." on a podcast (even at times of year when they've clearly meant
PDT).  I will be interested to see whether they or other creators become
aware enough to consciously adapt their language ahead of the change, or
whether a number of Vancouverites might be frustrated by folks from eastern
Canada and the US showing up an hour late to their events for a while.

It does bring up an interesting psychological quirk — the thing that is
changing is that BC (and others) *are no longer changing* — so why would
the average person in those areas perceive that *they* need to adjust their
nomenclature in November?

This certainly is at least contributing to a decent amount of confusion on
social media as far as I've seen, particularly in response to some
(largely) correct maps of the mess of expected North American offsets come
November, like the one attached (though it elides some border regions and
some earlier versions I saw lacked the NWT change).  Nestled among the
various comments have been plenty of replies incorrectly asserting that the
map must be wrong because they think BC will be on the same time as the
western States in November.  In some cases, this appears to be a
misunderstanding or miscalculation; in others, it seems to be based on a
mistaken assumption that the US has similarly abolished seasonal changes
when, so far, it has not.

I *like* PCT, although, to be fair, not everybody's close to the coast.


It looks like I'd had the same idea back in June 2019 when a lot of this
was first being proposed, and it was expected to include the coastal US
states as well…
https://lists.iana.org/hyperkitty/list/[email protected]/message/S5MT7GXVQMYXJUMSJXNMYE54442J7KDB/

I sincerely doubt, though, that anyone in the BC Government was referring
to that email when coming up with their preferred nomenclature.

On Wed, 23 Sept 2026 at 20:32, James Bellaire via tz <[email protected]> wrote:

> The US law is very clear.


For the sake of clarity, HR 139 is still a bill, not a law.  ;)  And at
this point it seems fairly likely to stay that way — at least as likely as
anything can be — since the Senate Commerce Committee did not take up the
bill in it's 16 September meeting, and no further meetings are presently
scheduled before the Senate rises for its Election recess on 2 October.

But it's worth remembering that different bills have also been proposed in
the US over the years that would handle the attendant redefinitions
differently.

--
Tim Parenti

Reply via email to