On Fri, 2 Oct 2026 at 21:57, James Bellaire via tz <[email protected]> wrote:

> Now that we are within a month of the traditional end of DST and
> Microsoft and Google (and others) have updated for the western Canada
> changes we should start seeing antidotal references to time


While it's still early, one such reference I've seen in the last day or so
is from the CBC.  Announcing their schedule for *Hockey Night in Canada* and
new partnership with the PWHL after their broadcast deal with the NHL
expired, they've listed the times of each planned broadcast in ET and PCT
(though one April conversion seems to be incorrect):
https://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/pwhl/cbc-hockey-night-in-canada-pwhl-schedule-revealed-october-2-9.7366402

I briefly leafed through the sports and television sections of the *Vancouver
Sun* in hopes of finding a time reference but so far only saw an "ET/PT"
that may have come from a syndicated article.  I've also seen a small
handful of BC streamers start to use "PCT" but it would be much harder to
differentiate those who do not from those elsewhere in the Pacific time
zone.

As for what I'm doing, for one of my North American calls with cross-border
participants, I've started rephrasing reminders based on participants'
general areas/cities (e.g, "8:30pm NY/Tor, 7:30pm Chi, 5:30pm SF/Vanc") so
I can easily separate SF and Vancouver later.  I'd imagine some
professional bodies that offer international webinars and the like may
start doing something similar, if they acknowledge the difference at all.

The Canadian Football League, now nearing the end of its season, doesn't
list any of the new zones but instead appears to have modified the
interpretation of certain existing zones (though not all):
https://cfl.ca/schedule
The Grey Cup championship game scheduled for 16 November is listed at "6pm
ET", but also "6pm CT" (reasonable enough for Winnipeg), "5pm MT" and "5pm
CST", but inconsistently "3pm PT" (which is not right for Vancouver).

Meanwhile, Canada's *Weather Network* has a video explainer out which gets
into the nomenclature weeds.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1m7butFyhi4
It asserts northwestern Ontario will fall back, which is maybe true enough
in a *de jure* sense at present, though that is seeming less and less like
the *de facto* likelihood.  It also treats the potential Nunavik change as
final and, while mentioning how Saskatchewan fits in, makes no mention of
Yukon's recent practice.  And while it states correctly that you'll "gain
an hour" on a short drive from Vancouver to Seattle, the on-screen
animation gets the direction of the time difference wrong.

The video ends with a wry "I hope that clears things up", and the top
comment reads "no it does not clear it up".

On Sat, 3 Oct 2026 at 06:39, James Bellaire via tz <[email protected]> wrote:

> They, like we, are probably waiting for the dust to settle on this
> year's changes. tzdata is up to date with the official changes so far. I
> suspect NRCC didn't want to make five map changes this year (not
> including the two that were each reversed a week later).
>
> Silly season should be over by ... December?
>

One can hope!  (Of course, by then, it's entirely possible that any of
these regions decide they don't like the shift and begin work on shifting
back…)

--
Tim Parenti

Reply via email to