Goo'day, again, David,

At 15:13 21/12/04 +1100, you wrote:

Hi Bruce,

Do you really want the "full" content or do you want the answer? I don't
disagree about Ray W's postings however it stops all the out of office
messages along with a large number of tit for tat postings.

Is filtering out the OOO's "Out of Office" (as I do) too hard?

The tit-for-tats just get deleted without reading once I get sick of the thread of 'em....

If the zealots wish to continue, they can do it in private.

They get deleted-without-reading, too. Then I write some more code with a few GOTOs, or GOs if I'm *really* peeved, just to make myself feel better.... <grin>

The list manager used by other lists has a reply-to of the person posting the
message. Personally, I'm a bit sick of the arguments. Some folks think
it is funny but it ties up an inordinate amount of bandwidth.

Your point about the immediate receivers is not really valid.

Oh! I thought it was extremely valid, especially to those of us with "lazy" email .....

Why does everybodys reply have to go to everybody on the list?

'Cos then, them wot's wrong or under some misaprehension get told early enough by the rest of the list and *this* can then spark another conversation and *this* can be more meaningful and useful, at least to me....

Multiply the answers this morning by the number of subscribers times the length of
each message and the bandwidth consumed becomes quite large.

Is this a "cost"? 12 emails times 700 subscribers in the time that how many zillion other emails were propagated.

They can be so easily ignored, once *you* realize that *you're* finished with them....

I have seen recently, last week, in fact, an instance where it took a number of disparate replies to one poster before he "saw the light"..... If nobody else on the list was able to see the responses, and couldn't keep posting additional bits 'n' pieces, Gawd alone knows where that poor bloke'd be by now.....

The additional bits really *do* have a value....

I'm not trying to control the delay, just redirect the replies to where
they should go ie. the original message poster. It is then up to he/she
to compose a reasonable summary and post this to the list. We then only
have 2 messages to the list, the question and the answer.

In a perfect world.....there'd only be difficult and obtuse questions posed, and only Ray Wurlod (UV)and Ken Wallis(UD)'d be able to answer.

So, list, listen up!    Only ask the hard ones..... <grin>

I don't disagree with the INFOCUS indexing however the price is right
and I haven't seen any offers of anything better. It is using another
sites donated bandwidth (AFAIK). I'm sure gmane or something else also
mirrors the list.

-- No virus found in this incoming message. Checked by AVG Anti-Virus. Version: 7.0.290 / Virus Database: 265.6.2 - Release Date: 20/12/04

Regards,

Bruce Nichol
Talon Computer Services
ALBURY        NSW     2640
Australia

http://www.taloncs.com.au

Tel: +61 (0)411149636
Fax: +61 (0)260232119

If it ain't broke, fix it till it is!

-- No virus found in this outgoing message. Checked by AVG Anti-Virus. Version: 7.0.290 / Virus Database: 265.6.2 - Release Date: 20/12/04