> 1) stops arguments on the relative benefits of a GOTO over a LOOP for
> the 53rd time. (30 replies on the last one).

I'll agree with you here.

> 2) stops multiple answers clogging bandwidth of everybody on the list.
> eg. being told how to MAT var = '' 9 times.

Let's think this one through a bit more.  How many of those people do you
suppose might have been composing replies simultaneously (or close enough
for practical purposes)?  The quick response of those who follow this group
is one of its greatest assets.  Many replies with the same suggestions
simply validates the advice given.

I certainly prefer this to newsgroups that devolve into off-topic flame-wars
and sniping at personalities.  I am about to drop one newsgroup I was quite
interested in for exactly this reason.