The way to do this is with two read statements...something like...

        read R.PO from F.PO, This.PO   else  R.PO = ''
        This.Supplier = R.PO<4>

      read R.Supplier from F.Supplier, This.Supplier   else  R.Supplier = ''
        This.Contact.Name = R.Supplier<7>

In other words, forget about using I-Descriptors from within UniBasic.

Even if it is possible, to me, it would be bad practice, inefficient, etc.

The technique given above is akin to... bread and budder.

Regards,

--Bill

Bill Brutzman, Mgr IT
HK MetalCraft Mfg Corp