Leroy Dreyfuss wrote:

> Mike Henderson wrote:
> >And what is the "equivalent number of U2 licenses " that I
> would need to buy?
> >If I had an internet-facing U2 system for example - which I
> don't - how
> >could I work out this number?  In theory it could be millions of
> >prospective users, and while I'm sure IBM would love to sell me a
> >million-seat license, I'm equally sure I couldn't afford it!
>
> >LeRoy, I'm not trying to be difficult here, I'm genuinely
> interested in
> >how, if I were back in the IT Manager role, I would license my U2
> >database in a way that meet both IBM's reasonable
> expectation that they
> >should receive a fair return for the use of their IP, and my
> >management's equally reasonable expectation that I should provide the
> >service they require at a cost that the business can sustain.
>
> The answer here is RedBack. It is designed for exactly this
> purpose. We
> have customers servicing millions of requests per day on a
> hundred or less Webshares.

Leroy, the issue with the answer being Redback is that using Redback imposes
too much of the shape of the solution to any given problem.

Take Craig's example.  Disparate systems in a large organisation hooked
together via MQ Series.  That organisation can't rewrite its web application
architecture around redback just so some data can be hooked out of a U2
database.

It is great that IBM sells what many people seem to consider top-notch
technology for building web applications, but I'm fairly sure that they will
get into trouble if they are seen to be using their licensing agreements to
force people to buy that technology in preference to other competitive ones.

Cheers,

Ken