We are faced with this same situation and the thought behind this truly
baffles me.  Why take a flexible, dynamic database system and force it to
be fixed length.  This is what you are doing using dimensioned arrays and
MATREADs.  The most common justification I have heard is performance and
this simply doe not hold water.  I started in Pick in R83 and have never
used a dimensioned array to hold record structure and I have not seen
performance issues.  This to the extent that we ran an MRP run on a 286
Wyse PC that choked the mainframe at this company.

Rich Taylor | Senior Programmer/Analyst| VERTIS
250 W. Pratt Street | Baltimore, MD 21201
P 410.361.8688 | F 410.528.0319
[EMAIL PROTECTED] | http://www.vertisinc.com

Vertis is the premier provider of targeted advertising, media, and
marketing services that drive consumers to marketers more effectively.

"The more they complicate the plumbing
  the easier it is to stop up the drain"

- Montgomery Scott NCC-1701