In message <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Richard Taylor <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes
We are faced with this same situation and the thought behind this truly
baffles me.  Why take a flexible, dynamic database system and force it to
be fixed length.  This is what you are doing using dimensioned arrays and
MATREADs.  The most common justification I have heard is performance and
this simply doe not hold water.  I started in Pick in R83 and have never
used a dimensioned array to hold record structure and I have not seen
performance issues.  This to the extent that we ran an MRP run on a 286
Wyse PC that choked the mainframe at this company.

Using PI on a 750 or 2750 - we had arrays that were up to a thousand elements long. And the performance impact was VERY noticeable when switching from dynamic to dimensioned.

And then later, programming UV on an EXL7330, many's the time I've taken a slow program that heavily manipulated dynamic arrays, converted it to dimensioned, and watched it fly. One particular case, I think I reduced run-time from 20 to 5 minutes.

Cheers,
Wol
--
Anthony W. Youngman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
'Yings, yow graley yin! Suz ae rikt dheu,' said the blue man, taking the