> I'm not so sure I would call this a security hole.  If I could figure
> it out, it might just be a security feature in that one could shut
> down access via UniObjects for users who have no business accessing
> the system that way.

I go back to my original argument, perhaps explained more clearly (I hope)
this time....

Imagine you run a bank. Your employees log in each day from their desktop PC
using a UniObjects based application and shuffle money about between
accounts. The application must have write access to the database files and
controls who can do what via its own internal security checks.

A clever employee now writes a simple VB program that uses UniObjects and
puts it on his PC. This program connects to the server using his
username/password but, instead of calling the usual application modules,
uses UniObjects to open the files and transfer funds into his own account
totally outside the security of the application.

Using any of the operating system or database security mechanisms shuts out
the business application as well as the rogue user.

The only way that I can see to close this hole is for UniObjects to have an
option to restrict which operations the client end can request. At the
highest level, this should restrict the client so that all he can do is call
existing catalogued programs that are compiled with some special compiler
mode directive.

Come on... Someone convince me I'm wrong!

Martin Phillips
Ladybridge Systems
17b Coldstream Lane, Hardingstone, Northampton NN4 6DB
+44-(0)1604-709200