Logan, David wrote:
> Sounds like the sky is falling. This is by no means a "unique
> situation", this works well on numerous other lists (that I subscribe
> to) so why not this one? Surely the subscribers are not that silly. I
> know the average age of the Universe/Unidata afficionado is slowly
> creeping upward, but this doesn't mean we can't absorb change.
>
> My outlook filter still managed to get this into the correct folder.
>
> Regards

Well, our experience is just different.  Seems a little silly to have
manual procedures to conform to some list software doesn't it?  Now when I
do get a double posting from this forum, since they both have "[U2]" and
other common markers, all mail gets to my U2 List folder.  I'd rather not
change my filters until someone here decides which way the wind will blow.

As an example of how this "reply-all" policy is not working:  I don't send
directly to the list, I send through a remailer so that my e-mail address
isn't broadcast to the world.  But that shouldn't matter to anyone else,
and it never has.  Now, I need to manually paste the right e-mail address
into the To field.  I'll accept this as something unique to me if indeed it
is, but again, I don't need to do this for any other lists - how about just
getting some listserver software that works like DadaMail?
(http://mojo.skazat.com/ free, open source, feature rich, well supported,
popular...)

It also looks like the list is accepting mail from unauthorized mail
sources.  I think I accidentally posted mail from an address not subscribed
to the list.  I dunno if this is new or not.  Without digging through
headers I can't tell exactly what happened and I don't have time for such
things.