Control files tend to be a hodge-podge of miscellaneous counters and other
'control' values. There tends not to be a DICT of a CONTROL file as the data
is pretty inconsistent.

Multiple Data Levels are pretty useful as otherwise indicated. Only drawback
is when deleting the file, all the data levels go bye-bye and you may not
want all to be deleted and thus manage separately.

Multiple data structures within one data file is pretty much a pain in the
ass. The Results Distribution system has the PRODUCT file containing 2
separate files structures, the Product Master record with the generic
description, classes, weights etc and the many Warehouse records showing the
on-hands and other transactional information per warehouse.

I've been dealing with Results for over 20 years and I truly wish it weren't
written that way. I worked with a stolen version of Results called IDS that
separated it and was a lot cleaner. I worked briefly with another stolen
version called SHIMS and it was combined.

The trouble is that rarely are you wanting all Master and Warehouse records
at once. You're either selecting Master or Warehouse records and every
English request must contain "AND WITH WHSE" or "AND WITH NO WHSE" to
differentiate between them. Add to the Basic selects having to separate and
it's not been a good idea.

I'm just sharing my opinion on primary combined files. One application, SAS
for HVAC Servicing, has all of the pesky files like STATES, Salesman,
Technicians, Vehicles, Tax Codes etc in one file with the primary key having
a prefix of ST, SM, TE, VE, TX etc. Since that app has a whole lot of
transactional data files, having these static files in one 'file' sorta
makes sense.

My 2 sense.
Mark Johnson