NO, I used distributed files effectively in a previous implementation. Mark captured the essence of what I am seeing in this implementation. The suggestion of control/config/catchall files in this structure makes some sense to keep a handle on this. The implementation I am using is not sharing the dictionary.

I found the responses enlightening.  Thanks.

Ron

----Original Message Follows----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
To: u2-users@listserver.u2ug.org
Subject: RE: [U2] Multiple Data Files
Date: Wed, 17 May 2006 11:39:45 +0100

I suspect that the Ron is talking about distributed files......

Ron - this is a mechanism where you can split the data over several
individual part files, but still be able to see it all together as one
logical file. This means that you can open the file as a whole, and read
records or select the whole file or you could open an individual part file
and read records or select the records in the individual part file.

This is mainly used for two purposes. One is where you have a file size
limit and you need to be able to store more data than the file can
possibly hold. For example, a 32 bit Universe file can only have 2gb of
data. If you need to have more than that amount you have two choices -
convert the file to 64 bit if the underlying OS will allow it, or to
distribute the data across part files.

The second purpose is to split the data into more manageable and logical
chunks. For example, if you have invoice transactions that you keep for
many years, it may make sense to have a part file for each year of data.
So you would have a distributed file called INVOICES, with part file of
INVOICES.06, INVOICES.05, INVOICES.04 etc. You would usually also define a
bucket file called, for example, INVOICES.REST, which would hold all the
INVOICES records that you didnt want to store in an individual part file.
That way, you could store most of you very old invoices in INVOICES,REST,
and the more recent ones in the part file for the year in which they were
raised.

The advantage of doing this is that you if you want to run reports for
this year, you only need to select INVOICES.06, and that will only contain
the invoices raised for this year, so it can run much quicker. If you want
to do reports for last year, then you can run the same programs or RECALL
statements against INVOICES.05, and that will then give you data for last
year. If you want to run reports for everything, then you run the same
programs or RECALL statements against INVOICES, and you will get the data
for everything.

The limitation is that the information which decides which part file a
record is to be stored in must be part of the key. In the INVOICES
example, the year must be part of the key to the INVOICES file.

There are downsides to using distributed files. One is that when you open
the whole file, Universe actually opens all the part files as well. The
number of files that can be opened at any one time by a process is usually
a hard OS limit. Universe overcomes this OS limit by using the concept of
a rotating file pool, where once the OS limit is reached, the file that
has not been used the longest is closed, and the slot used for the new
file to be opened. Normally, this is not much of a performance hit, but if
you are calling subroutines frequently that open files, and especially
open distributed files with lots of part files, then it can become an
issue.

For more information on how to create and manage distribute files do a
HELP on DEFINE.DF and LIST.DF.

"Bob Woodward" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent by: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
17/05/2006 00:04
Mail Size: 5276
Please respond to

<u2-users@listserver.u2ug.org>
cc

Subject
RE: [U2] Multiple Data Files
Entity
Investment Banking Europe - IBEU

If you are meaning multiple data record structures inside of a single
file then for me, it's a lot more manageable to keep things like control
records in a single file/table than to have many files/tables with only
one or a few records/rows.

If this is not what you mean then your question has me totally confused.

BobW