These are all extremely informative and lovely pieces of information
(no, that's not sarcasm):)  With nice Unix information that can even
be applied to Windows with some thought.

However, I too am curious about the Server 2003 VSS (not *nix,
sorry!).  Running it cannot cause corruption to the Unidata files even
while people are logged in -- is that correct?

>From what I've read, Server 2003 lets the processes finish their disk
writes, pauses the processes on an OS level, writes the disk branching
information, and then resumes the processes.  Programs wouldn't even
known it's happening.

Even deleting the VSS restore point is a safe operation as far as I
know in that it simply writes the new file indexes stored in the
restore points into the master file table, right?

That's where the VSS awareness comes in, right?  Programs that are
aware could ensure data integrity through transactional logs.  I'm
guessing it's the restore that would be the issue.  Although the
processes would finish their writes, that would just be for one block
of data and you could be missing part of a record in a file or even
have inconsistencies between files if you tried to restore.  Risky,
risky...

I guess my question now is: *on Windows*, do the dbpause/dbstart or
SUSPEND.ON/SUSPEND.OFF commands ensure structural integrity to some
extent, like Martin Phillips said earlier? If I start to write array
variable ABC containing 10,000 items 1000 characters each in length to
a file, and that file is only valid if ABC is completely written, will
it let ABC finish writing to that file?  Will I have to check after
the restore if only 9,999 items were written?