Good article.

I would have to say though that this really only addresses those 100%
'drag&drop' programmers.

There is nothing that prevents one from using 100% vanilla HTML directly
or through the HTML controls ( as opposed to the ASP.NET web controls ).

Getting away from styling controls using the designer is a must - do
everything that you possibly can using stye sheets - inline styles are a
no-no. Although vs2008 has gone a long way in these regard.  Also look
into the css control adapters to get ASP.NET to generate css friendly
table-less html.

Test your site during development on multiple browsers and if necessary,
remove any problems associated with ASP.NET browser detection by
replacing the drag&drop controls with something that does work the way
you would like.  The number places where this is necessary are actually
pretty small - most problems are due to css issues rather than the code
generated by ASP.NET.

In my experience, doing initial site testing using the latest version of
firefox is a good way to get a site looking pretty good in most
browsers.  Developing with internet explorer as your only test browser
is a really bad idea.

My last point would be that even with the most standards compliant
modern browsers, 100% visual compatibility can be a tough go due to the
many ambiguous aspects of the standards.  Know when to say that pretty
close is close enough.

Gerry