It's not only to "inhibit Suzy in accounting from wasting time", and
it's not only "the PHBs [who] will not allow the users to surf the net".
Having your desktop PC able to access the internet means that it's
accessible from the internet too, at least to some hopefully small
degree of risk.

My employer requires that PCs which are connected to the Internet be on
a separate physical network to all our 'work' PCs. The only exceptions
are specified gateway servers, e.g. the external email gateway, which
are firewalled to death and heavily protected from intrusion. Our
internet web sites are not hosted on our internal network.
So to access a web-based forum, I need an 'Internet PC', the nearest of
which is down the corridor a bit. So I wouldn't be bothered, I only go
to an 'Internet PC' for a specific purpose.
Like Jerry said, changing this to a forum would also change me from a
participant to an observer.

Oh, and Happy New Year! :-)

Regards

Mike