You can use any backup utility you want - either OS level or the
built-in uvbackup - without necessarily shutting down UV.  The important
thing is to make sure UV is quiescent.  If no users are logged in and no
phantom processes are updating files, you should be able to get a backup
of your UV data in a consistent state without completely shutting it
down.  This is all we've ever done, and we successfully restore backed
up data all the time.  I've also used the unix/linux OS-level cp command
to make a duplicate copy of our entire production database for
development use evey night for the past 12 years, and have yet to run
into a single issue with file integrity.  However, whether or not you
should back up UV while it's running depends a lot on the architecture
of your applications and the nature of your business.  We don't have
employees working 24x7, so windows of relative idleness are easy to
find.  Our web site is available to customers 24x7, though, so shutting
down UV completely is out of the question.

If you do have a window when you can shut down UV, you can also do it
automatically and be completely sure no file writes can occur.  Assuming
linux or unix, the following script should work:

#!/bin/bash

/etc/init.d/uv.rc stop
RETVAL=$?

if [ $RETVAL -eq 0 ]; then

        # insert backup command here

        /etc/init.d/uv.rc start
        RETVAL=$?

        if [ $RETVAL -eq 0 ]; then

                echo "UV backed up and restarted on `date`" | \
                mail -s "Successful UV Backup" [EMAIL PROTECTED]

        else

                echo "Unable to start UV after backup!" | \
                mail -s "Unable to start UV!" [EMAIL PROTECTED]

        fi

else

        echo "Unable to stop UV for backup" | \
        mail -s "UV backup failure!" [EMAIL PROTECTED]

fi

-John