Hi David,

I'm not quite sure why I would want to read/write a sequential file over 2Gb but, given that this originated as a D3 comment and has found its way on to the U2 site, let me just add that QM can handle sequential files over 2Gb.

The argument used by UV is that because integer values are stored as 32 bit numbers internally, file addresses over 2Gb cause a problem. A 64 bit version of UV still stores integer values as 32 bits because to do otherwise would potentially impact some applications (think about bitwise operations, for example).

Also remember that at the operating system level, 64 bit file addressing does not require a 64 bit architecture, just use of long long int variables or, in some cases, a pair of 32 bit variables.

Martin Phillips
Ladybridge Systems Ltd
17b Coldstream Lane, Hardingstone, Northampton, NN4 6DB
+44-(0)1604-709200 -------