Hello all,

This is an interesting subject. I remember reading several years ago that TI
(Texas Instruments) spent $50 million on SAP and gave up. SAP must be a bear to
implement but TI should have known better.

I have personal knowledge of several migrations/conversions that didn't go so
well. All of them suffered due to under estimating the amount of work involved.
Of course, a lot of the work was due to the sloppiness of the old code,
multiple and obsolete programs, program bugs, etc. But the primary cause of the
under estimate was the eagerness of the sales person(s) to get the deal and not
listen to the programmers.

An Universe to jBASE migration project was abandoned after many months for
several reasons.

An Ultimate to Universe migration is alive and running but took several times
as long as "estimated".

A GUI frontend addition to a UV system took a lot longer than the customer
"thought it should" due to scope creep and a lack of planning and control.

An Unidate to SQL migration is in production but still doesn't do all the
things the Unidata system did.

A Reality to Oracle migration  dragged on for 5 years and then the company was
bought out by a company using SAP so they switched to SAP. They are still in
business so I guess that it's working for them.

In another case, the programmer has built a very well organized and functional
system but the PHB's are switching to something else. I don't know why but I
bet it's not due to a favorable ROI.

Why does MV lose out to the SAP's of the world? Marketing! Even IBM does a poor
job of promoting U2 and they have the money to do so. The others in general
have very little marketing money compared to Oracle and Microsoft.

Other factors include too many vendors, each with a share of a rather small
pie. Even when systems are brought together like Unidata and Universe or Mvbase
and D3, the vendors choose to maintain separate versions. As long as there are
so many versions, one of them will never have the resources to have effective
marketing. Of course, there are a lot of other factors.

Perhaps a bigger push into the open source space would help. I recently read
that MySQL has a long history of bugs, like losing all your data, and some of
them will not be fixed. Yet it remains the most popular free database.

We have a better mouse trap, why doesn't the world know it?

Just, my 2 cents worth.

BTW, I'm looking for programming work!
Universe, Unidata, jBASE, etc.
Linux, Aix, Windows, Mac.