From: owner-u2-us...@listserver.u2ug.org
[mailto:owner-u2-us...@listserver.u2ug.org] On Behalf Of Doug Farmer
Sent: Thursday, April 23, 2009 5:04 PM
To: u2-users@listserver.u2ug.org
Subject: [U2] Question on UniVerse VOC record for CREATE.FILE

I am mainly a UniData person, so UniVerse is a bit foreign to me.

I am running UniVerse on a Windows Platform.

Using the CREATE.FILE command, I created a file with a long name (15
characters) with my standard VOC pointer, and the VOC pointer in the
UV\NEWAC,PICK file.

Using the CREATE.FILE verb in my VOC, I am able to create the file
correctly.  Using the verb as it is on the NEWAC,PICK file, it truncates
the file name.  This, even though the LONGNAMES is on.  See the examples
at the end of the E mail.

My VOC entry looks like

>AE VOC CREATE.FILE
Top of "CREATE.FILE" in "VOC", 6 lines, 40 characters.
*--: L22
001: V
002: create.file
003: E
004: VF
005: LONGNAMES
006: PICK.FORMAT
Bottom.
*--:

The NEWACC\PICK file verb looks like this (After I copy it to my VOC and
set LONGNAMES)
>AE VOC PICK-CREATE-FILE
Top of "CREATE.FILE" in "VOC", 6 lines, 40 characters.
*--: L22
001: V
002: create.file
003: E
004: FG
005: LONGNAMES
006: PICK.FORMAT
Bottom.
*--:

The only difference is attribute 4 which has an FG instead of VF in it.
I have no idea what FG vs VF is.

You may wonder why I am asking?  I have an old application that creates
files specifically using the PICK version, no matter what the VOC
version is.

I don't know why, is there a difference?

The only difference I know of is that LONGNAMES do not seem to work
under the PICK version.

Any ideas?

Thanks in Advance

Doug

Using PICK-CREATE-FILE

>PICK-CREATE-FILE DAF1234567890123456 1,1,18 1,1,19
WARNING: An operating system file will be created with a truncated name.
Creating file "DAF123456000" as Type 19.
Creating file "D_DAF123456000" as Type 18, Modulo 1, Separation 1.

Using CREATE-FILE
>CREATE.FILE DAF123456789012345 1,1,18 1,1,19
Creating file "DAF123456789012345" as Type 19.
Creating file "D_DAF123456789012345" as Type 18, Modulo 1, Separation 1.
Added "@ID", the default record for RetrieVe, to "D_DAF123456789012345".

This e-mail is for the use of the intended recipient(s) only. If you
have received this e-mail in error, please notify the sender immediately
and then delete it. If you are not the intended recipient, you must not
use, disclose or distribute this e-mail without the author's prior
permission. We have taken precautions to minimize the risk of
transmitting software viruses, but we advise you to carry out your own
virus checks on any attachment to this message. We cannot accept
liability for any loss or damage caused by software viruses. Any views
and/or opinions expressed in this e-mail are of the author only and do
not represent the views of Epicor Software Corporation or any other
company within its group.