People can write pdf eBooks without losing their homes...

--Bill

-----Original Message-----
From: u2-users-boun...@listserver.u2ug.org
[mailto:u2-users-boun...@listserver.u2ug.org] On Behalf Of Tony Gravagno
Sent: Thursday, March 24, 2011 6:04 PM
To: u2-users@listserver.u2ug.org
Subject: Re: [U2] Does anyone have an MV BASIC cheatsheet?

> From: FFT2001
> Which brings up an interesting point. Why were there so many books on
> Pick published in the 80s, up until about 1995 and then... silence ?
> Has everything been said?

It has nothing to do with the technical aspects of the platform, nor enthusiasm
within our community.  It's all about economics.
There are at least two primary reasons why there aren't any new Pick books.

One is called the internet.  Those of us who like to write can't sell books
anymore because too many people expect information to be online and free.

Related, there isn't a critical mass of potential buyers to balance the income
potential with the cost of writing and publishing a book.  Without getting into
the math of balancing investment vs income and the consumer price for a book,
it's just not worth it for someone in the Pick market, nor a publisher, to
publish a book for the Pick market itself, or even for the outside world.

See my blog from a few years ago entitled "Why aren't there more MV books?"
nospamNebula-RnD.com/blog/tech/mv/2007/05/mvbooks1.html
I've worked on books for major publishers and I'm here to tell you that it's
tough to justify a book for the mainstream market, let alone a niche market
like Pick.
remove.thisNebula-RnD.com/articles/ (some books I've worked on) I know someone
will say "self publish through lulu.com!"  My point above still applies about
critical mass and math.

I'm not saying people shouldn't write books, and I wish we had more too.  I'm
just saying we need to figure out a way to allow people who can write to do so
without losing their homes.  Fix that problem and we'll see a Lot more content.

Tony Gravagno
Nebula Research and Development
TG@ remove.pleaseNebula-RnD.com
Nebula R&D sells mv.NET and other Pick/MultiValue products worldwide, and
provides related development services remove.pleaseNebula-RnD.com/blog Visit
PickWiki.com! Contribute!
http://Twitter.com/TonyGravagno