Hi Bill

I ran into a funny like that.  The application was compile with an old version
of uniobjects .Net and had an issue with the new version of universe.  I
recompiled with the new version of uniobjects and the issue went away.
Other area to look for
- I have had issues where a subroutine returned an unsigned variable, make sure
all variables are assigned when being returned back.
- Check the size of strings being passed back, a program may be passing back a
long string as the result of a program bug.  It may be a corrupt record.  The
problem with pick is we look at fld 10 and don't care what is after.  You can
have a corrupt record with garbage on the end and it will not impact data
quality in the application but it will impact on performance.

I have found uniobjects to be quite robust, but really only use it to make
calls to subroutines, I don't use other functionality.   Whilst you can write
business logic in the .Net client, there is a question if that does not breach
good practice in relation to client server.  You should keep your business
rules in a central place where you can change it once.  You cannot afford to
update a 100 desktop applications every time you need to change business logic.

David Jordan