Some thoughts...

Depending on your budget, there is always the option of a "properly
installed generator" that will pair with and charge your ups batteries.
 There are electricians and companies who can do this for you.

http://www.cumminsonan.com/cm/products/propane

http://www.nstpower.com/index.html

We have had good luck with an onan propane generator over the past 10 years
or so.  Literally, all they've done to it is change the oil in the thing,
and crank it once a month for 10 years.
First the UPS kicks in, then while the server is running on batteries, the
generator fires up and relieves the batteries, while the UPS and some other
devices regulate the power.

Of course, if you have 10 users and a budget of a few thousand a year, I'm
guessing that would not be a good option for you.  We have over 300 users
and are running on AIX.

Otherwise, I think those other options given by previous posters are your
best bet:

1) Find a way to make the UPS "gracefully" shutdown your Universe server
(along with Universe)  I know APC has quite a bit of Windows based software
along these lines for fairly cheap.

2) Virtualize the server and use some of those features.  Don't expect
Hyper-V to do it for you without a lot of third party help.

On Tue, Jul 19, 2011 at 12:27 PM, Wols Lists <antli...@youngman.org.uk>wrote:

> On 19/07/11 16:30, Arnold Bosch wrote:
> > Hi
> >
> > Has anybody ever tested how Universe behaves if the server is hibernated
> > to disk ?  Does it work and resume locally logged on sessions properly
> > when the server is brought back up again?
> > Obviously all network sessions will be aborted, but I'm not concerned
> > about that.
>
> What's doing the hibernate? Do you mean like a laptop suspend?
>
> My first thought was you meant suspending a VM, but it doesn't read
> quite like that to me.
>
> Having been following this with the linux kernel (yes, that's not
> Windows, I know), if you mean suspending a VM of some sort, yes the
> system should just resume with minimal problems and carry on as if
> nothing has happened. I run XP in a VM on linux, and rarely have
> problems even though things like "My Documents" etc are on a (from
> XP's point of view) network disk.
>
> If, however, you really mean "hibernate", with Windows flushing *itself*
> to disk, that's hard to get right. You also said "without a proper
> shutdown", implying that it didn't hibernate, but crashed.
>
> Basically, unless it's totally controlled like saving a VM, I'd be very
> wary of something that "may have saved" itself after a power failure.
>
> Sounds like it might be worth investing in a checkpointing file store -
> checkpoint before overnight processing, then catch-up afterwards. If
> you've got a mirror you can break, you could break the mirror and back
> up one copy while the other copy is updating, before you resume the mirror.
>
> Cheers,
> Wol

John Thompson