Hi

Has anybody ever tested how Universe behaves if the server is hibernated
to disk ?  Does it work and resume locally logged on sessions properly
when the server is brought back up again?
Obviously all network sessions will be aborted, but I'm not concerned
about that.

For background:
We're running Universe 10.2.10 on Windows 2003 Enterprise X64 Server.
Every night we have backups,  a lot of batch update jobs and reporting
that runs on the UV server.  During this time period, there are no users
connected to the system; only administrators can connect.
Last week one night we had a power failure that outlasted the 4 hours
run-time we have on our UPS, resulting in the server going down without a
proper shutdown; fortunately not while in the middle of doing updates.

I am concerned that something similar might happen while the system is
processing; during the day it is OK as there are IT staff on-site that can
make sure that user sessions are terminated as normally as possible and
the server brought down gracefully during long-running outages.

Why I'm asking about the hibernation: If there are local UV processes
running, and the server is suspended to disk, will such processes carry on
from where they left off when the server is brought up again ? - this
could save us a lot of recovery time in such cases - rare as they are.
Currently we have to look at at what point of the nightly jobs the server
went down; if it was during backups no processing would be done; if it was
during processing, we have to restore the backup to get the server back to
a "known" state and so on.

Kind regards

Arnold Bosch
IT Administrator
Taeuber & Corssen SWA (Pty) Ltd
------

---------
Disclaimer: This email message is intended solely for the use of the
individual or entity to whom it is addressed and may contain confidential
information which may be privileged and protected by law. If you are not
the intended recipient, please notify us at our email address, delete this
message and do not disclose the contents of this email message to any
other person use it for any purpose or store or copy this email in any
manner or form. Opinions, conclusions and other information contained in
this email message that do not relate to our official business shall be
understood as neither given nor endorsed by us. We do not represent,
warrant and/or guarantee that the integrity of this communication has been
maintained or that this communication is free of errors, virus,
interception or interference.