I have always worked hard to write clean, orderly code. That way the poor sap (sometimes me) who has to work on it months or years later will have a much easier time of it. I've caught some grief over the years for spending a few timeslices in making my code clear, readable and self-documenting, but I still do it.

Regards,
Charlie Noah

On 01-16-2012 12:50 PM, Tony Gravagno wrote:
From: Charles_Shaffer
Aside from it not being readable, compacting C code
like that can reduce portability.  Different compilers
may evaluate complex, compacted code differently.
Same thing has actually happened with BASIC code that's ported
from one platform to another.

Rule of thumb: Don't get cute. Spell out the code so that any
dumb compiler or programmer can read it.

On-topic: that makes my response to this thread, "not".

One of our colleagues from the mid 80's wrote code that was so
clean I liked to say we could eat off of it.  I think he still
reads this forum: So to Mark Vander Veen, here we are over 20
years later and I Still appreciate your code.  Now THAT is
Brilliant.