It's my understanding that George hit the issue squarely on the head with
this comment:

"Instead if you connection pool using Rocket's or your own technology then
you need to buy connection pooling licenses."

Rocket doesn't want people creating their own connection pooling logic that
would allow a single license to service what might otherwise be an
unreasonable number of clients.  They are, after all, in the business of
selling seats.  That being said, the issue is one of concurrency.  With
telnet, people are squatting on ports all day.  With a web-based
application a connection might last a fraction of a second and be done.
 This allows the web-based application to utilize each single license more
effectively as one license could realistically service thousands of
different clients over the course of a day.  The down side to this
connect-do-disconnect model, of course, is the overhead of establishing
each connection.  With connection pooling they offer an alternative to
making a new connection each time, and have established the rules and price
for whatever they think makes sense.

-K