On 25/06/12 17:47, Oaks, Harold wrote:
> Hi Satya:
>
> An I-descriptor is the same as an I-type (or a V-type).
>
> It's like a little program in the DICT (dictionary) of a file.  It can
> do very complex things, but quite often is used for very simple things,
> but those simple things can be quite helpful.  Here is an example-

I *believe* MS SQL-server has a similar facility called a "calculated
field". A colleague told me a story of how he discovered this then went
on a SQL training course. When he tried to explain this to the
instructor and the class, most of them just couldn't understand. But the
few (including the instructor) who "got it" just couldn't get over how
useful this facility could be.

Cheers,
Wol