From: u2-users-boun...@listserver.u2ug.org
[mailto:u2-users-boun...@listserver.u2ug.org] On Behalf Of Israel, John R.
Sent: Tuesday, 26 June 2012 3:24 AM
To: 'U2 Users List'
Subject: Re: [U2] Regarding: use of I - Descriptor

Satya,

Roughly speaking, and I-Desc is a way to manipulate the data so that you can
select or display data in other ways.  You can get data from another file,
perform some math on multiple fields, concatenate data, call a basic
subroutine, or any combination of these.  You can have multiple commands within
an I-Desc with each piece separated by a semi-colon, and then take action based
on each "piece" of the code.  You can even put alternate indexes on I-Desc,
though this can lead to serious problems if you are indexing a translate.

You generally cannot do updates with an I-Desc, though if the I-Desc called a
subroutine, you COULD do anything but I have never seen this done (and with
very good reason).

On a wild tangent to what I just said, I have always thought how easy (in a
purest way) that you COULD perform some task like month end by having a file
with special record and an I-Desc that DOES run update subroutines (yeah I
know, I just said not to do that, but the idea is cool).  If set up correctly,
you COULD simply run your month end by sorting the special file with the
I-Desc.  For example:
   SORT MONTH.END.CTL DO.TASK
Where DO.TASK is an I-Desc that calls a subroutine that knows what to do based
on the key of each record.

Again, NOT a good idea, but the capability is there.

John