Come on Charlie, texting is cool and it is easy.
If I want to talk to my son in France for instance, I send him a text to switch on his PC so we can use Skype to actually talk and vice versa. The workshop sending me a text that my bike is ready to be collected - now how cool is that?
You're an American and you guys had letters on your phone keys for ages.
OK if you would have to remember that B is hitting 2 twice and S is hitting 7 four times I could see your point, but it's really not that difficult when the letters are actually displayed on the keys and you soon get the hang of it. I bought a phone with especially big keys so I can see the letters because my eyes are not what they used to be. ;-) And no, it's not one of those so called smart phones - it cost me just 15£ including bluetooth and camera - and no contract.