So I'm guessing you aren't using the open source version of apache, but,
the IBM AIX flavor of it.
Which I'm guessing is IHS.

I've never worked with that before.
Does the customer have IBM support?  Maybe they have some guru that can
send you an example?

I have some notes on this on Linux.

Here is an example of a virtual host section that did work with ssl on
Apache on Linux (open source).
It did not use gsk and ihs, but, openssl and open source apache.

I included the comments because I thought it might help.
BUT, all you need are the un-commented lines.

</VirtualHost>
<IfModule mod_ssl.c>

#May need this if not included elsewhere in apache config files.
#NameVirtualHost *:443
#Listen 443

<VirtualHost *:443>
        ServerAdmin some...@foo.com
        ServerName foo.com

        DocumentRoot /var/www/somesite

        <Directory /var/www/somesite>
#Disable Options we don't need
                Options -Indexes +Includes -ExecCGI +FollowSymLinks
-MultiViews
                AllowOverride None
                Order allow,deny
                allow from all
        </Directory>

        ErrorLog /var/log/apache2/error.log

        # alert, emerg.
        LogLevel warn

        CustomLog /var/log/apache2/ssl_access.log combined

        Alias /doc/ "/usr/share/doc/"
        <Directory "/usr/share/doc/">
                Options Indexes MultiViews FollowSymLinks
                AllowOverride None
                Order deny,allow
                Deny from all
                Allow from 127.0.0.0/255.0.0.0 ::1/128
        </Directory>

        #   SSL Engine Switch:
        #   Enable/Disable SSL for this virtual host.
        SSLEngine on

        #   A self-signed (snakeoil) certificate can be created by
installing
        #   the ssl-cert package. See
        #   /usr/share/doc/apache2.2-common/README.Debian.gz for more info.
        #   If both key and certificate are stored in the same file, only
the
        #   SSLCertificateFile directive is needed.
        SSLCertificateFile    /etc/apache2/ssl/basinc.biz.crt
        SSLCertificateKeyFile /etc/apache2/ssl/basinc.biz.key

        #   Server Certificate Chain:
        #   Point SSLCertificateChainFile at a file containing the
        #   concatenation of PEM encoded CA certificates which form the
        #   certificate chain for the server certificate. Alternatively
        #   the referenced file can be the same as SSLCertificateFile
        #   when the CA certificates are directly appended to the server
        #   certificate for convinience.
        SSLCertificateChainFile
/etc/apache2/ssl/startssl.chain.class1.server.crt

        #   Certificate Authority (CA):
        #   Set the CA certificate verification path where to find CA
        #   certificates for client authentication or alternatively one
        #   huge file containing all of them (file must be PEM encoded)
        #   Note: Inside SSLCACertificatePath you need hash symlinks
        #         to point to the certificate files. Use the provided
        #         Makefile to update the hash symlinks after changes.
        #SSLCACertificatePath /etc/ssl/certs/
        #SSLCACertificateFile /etc/apache2/ssl.crt/ca-bundle.crt

        #   Certificate Revocation Lists (CRL):
        #   Set the CA revocation path where to find CA CRLs for client
        #   authentication or alternatively one huge file containing all
        #   of them (file must be PEM encoded)
        #   Note: Inside SSLCARevocationPath you need hash symlinks
        #         to point to the certificate files. Use the provided
        #         Makefile to update the hash symlinks after changes.
        #SSLCARevocationPath /etc/apache2/ssl.crl/
        #SSLCARevocationFile /etc/apache2/ssl.crl/ca-bundle.crl

        #   Client Authentication (Type):
        #   Client certificate verification type and depth.  Types are
        #   none, optional, require and optional_no_ca.  Depth is a
        #   number which specifies how deeply to verify the certificate
        #   issuer chain before deciding the certificate is not valid.
        #SSLVerifyClient require
        #SSLVerifyDepth  10

        #   Access Control:
        #   With SSLRequire you can do per-directory access control based
        #   on arbitrary complex boolean expressions containing server
        #   variable checks and other lookup directives.  The syntax is a
        #   mixture between C and Perl.  See the mod_ssl documentation
        #   for more details.
        #<Location />
        #SSLRequire (    %{SSL_CIPHER} !~ m/^(EXP|NULL)/ \
        #            and %{SSL_CLIENT_S_DN_O} eq "Snake Oil, Ltd." \
        #            and %{SSL_CLIENT_S_DN_OU} in {"Staff", "CA", "Dev"} \
        #            and %{TIME_WDAY} >= 1 and %{TIME_WDAY} <= 5 \
        #            and %{TIME_HOUR} >= 8 and %{TIME_HOUR} <= 20       ) \
        #           or %{REMOTE_ADDR} =~ m/^192\.76\.162\.[0-9]+$/
        #</Location>

        #   SSL Engine Options:
        #   Set various options for the SSL engine.
        #   o FakeBasicAuth:
        #     Translate the client X.509 into a Basic Authorisation.  This
means that
        #     the standard Auth/DBMAuth methods can be used for access
control.  The
        #     user name is the `one line' version of the client's X.509
certificate.
        #     Note that no password is obtained from the user. Every entry
in the user
        #     file needs this password: `xxj31ZMTZzkVA'.
        #   o ExportCertData:
        #     This exports two additional environment variables:
SSL_CLIENT_CERT and
        #     SSL_SERVER_CERT. These contain the PEM-encoded certificates
of the
        #     server (always existing) and the client (only existing when
client
        #     authentication is used). This can be used to import the
certificates
        #     into CGI scripts.
        #   o StdEnvVars:
        #     This exports the standard SSL/TLS related `SSL_*' environment
variables.
        #     Per default this exportation is switched off for performance
reasons,
        #     because the extraction step is an expensive operation and is
usually
        #     useless for serving static content. So one usually enables the
        #     exportation for CGI and SSI requests only.
        #   o StrictRequire:
        #     This denies access when "SSLRequireSSL" or "SSLRequire"
applied even
        #     under a "Satisfy any" situation, i.e. when it applies access
is denied
        #     and no other module can change it.
        #   o OptRenegotiate:
        #     This enables optimized SSL connection renegotiation handling
when SSL
        #     directives are used in per-directory context.
        #SSLOptions +FakeBasicAuth +ExportCertData +StrictRequire
        <FilesMatch "\.(cgi|shtml|phtml|php)$">
                SSLOptions +StdEnvVars
        </FilesMatch>
        <Directory /usr/lib/cgi-bin>
                SSLOptions +StdEnvVars
        </Directory>

        #   SSL Protocol Adjustments:
        #   The safe and default but still SSL/TLS standard compliant
shutdown
        #   approach is that mod_ssl sends the close notify alert but
doesn't wait for
        #   the close notify alert from client. When you need a different
shutdown
        #   approach you can use one of the following variables:
        #   o ssl-unclean-shutdown:
        #     This forces an unclean shutdown when the connection is
closed, i.e. no
        #     SSL close notify alert is send or allowed to received.  This
violates
        #     the SSL/TLS standard but is needed for some brain-dead
browsers. Use
        #     this when you receive I/O errors because of the standard
approach where
        #     mod_ssl sends the close notify alert.
        #   o ssl-accurate-shutdown:
        #     This forces an accurate shutdown when the connection is
closed, i.e. a
        #     SSL close notify alert is send and mod_ssl waits for the
close notify
        #     alert of the client. This is 100% SSL/TLS standard compliant,
but in
        #     practice often causes hanging connections with brain-dead
browsers. Use
        #     this only for browsers where you know that their SSL
implementation
        #     works correctly.
        #   Notice: Most problems of broken clients are also related to the
HTTP
        #   keep-alive facility, so you usually additionally want to disable
        #   keep-alive for those clients, too. Use variable "nokeepalive"
for this.
        #   Similarly, one has to force some clients to use HTTP/1.0 to
workaround
        #   their broken HTTP/1.1 implementation. Use variables
"downgrade-1.0" and
        #   "force-response-1.0" for this.
        BrowserMatch "MSIE [2-6]" \
                nokeepalive ssl-unclean-shutdown \
                downgrade-1.0 force-response-1.0
        # MSIE 7 and newer should be able to use keepalive
        BrowserMatch "MSIE [17-9]" ssl-unclean-shutdown

</VirtualHost>
</IfModule>

John Thompson