John (Thompson)... This IHS Apache is definitely a cracked Apache with some
odd configuration  SSL setup in particular is completely different.

John (Hester), I can see the cert in the key file (through the gsk7cmd
command) but with the name api.client.com it cannot be found.  I even
recreated the cert as "api" (without dots) because I found a page that said
that the dots could be causing problems, but still no love.  It seems I've
done everything correctly but still it just can't find a combination that
works.  I'm wondering if the problem here is the fact that it's a
self-signed cert without a chain?  Are you using a self-signed cert here?
 Do you have other certs in your key file that may represent a chain for
the self-signed cert?

Thank you gentlemen for the insight.  Most appreciated.

-K