I too once did this with basically the same results (except that it did tons of reads/writes so I had to let it finish) and in my case the system was darn near dead of most of the day, needless to say I too was scarred for life and would/will never do a concurrent resize during business hours on anything but a VERY small and randomly accessed file and even then I probably would not do it ..........

my 3 cents

dougc