From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Ray DeGennaro at
Eaglerock IS
Sent: Wednesday, February 18, 2004 11:47 AM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: [ADMIN] The aforementioned and promised NAG about OVERQUOTING

>Susan,
>    Curious, I find the reverse to be true. Since I usually read in
>threads, I find that having to scroll through the last part to get
>to the current part mildly annoying.

The information flow problem is that messages, especially email,
don't always arrive and sort threaded.  This is problem is further
compounded because somebody could reply today to a message that was
deleted from your Inbox or expired from your news server days or even
weeks ago.  Without interposting, you have no idea where the reply
fits into the thread.  If you are a reader that typically reads
through an entire thread, when it's essentially dead, and don't mind
the occasional reply that's out of place because somebody has their
clock out of sync, or the time zone set incorrectly, then that's fine
for you.  But top-posting still makes things more difficult for just
about everybody else.

The byte flow problem, is the one that directly affects Cliff and the
digests.  Unfortunately, 99.9999% of Top-Posters neglect to trim the
quoted message to the relevant material.  That wastes huge amounts of
bandwidth.  Another thing to remember here, is that Usenet and email
are international, and that the US is pretty much the only place
where almost everybody can get internet access without per-byte or
per-minute charges.  Please note I typed "almost everybody" -- There
are still places in the US where there are no local access numbers
and people have to pay per-minute line charges in order to access
their "unlimited" internet accounts.

There really are no valid reasons to top-post, but there are plenty
of valid reasons to inter-post and trim the quoted material.  That's
why it's been a flameable action on Usenet for over twenty years.
Top-posting has only become more common in recent years because OE
and a few other email/newsreader hybrids (that really don't do either
well) make it tough to reply correctly and newbies are showing up
everyday, not just in the first couple of weeks in September.
Insisting on top-posting and not trimming the quoted material,
especially when there's replies that have already been right-posted
(aka inter-posted), I hate to say it, is just plain rude and self
serving.  Please take a moment and read the material listed in the
two links previously provided.  If you missed them, here they are
again:
    <http://www.greenend.org.uk/rjk/2000/06/14/quoting>

Ray

--
| =-=-=-=-=-=-= Eagle Rock Information Systems Corp =-=-=-=-=-=-= |