Maintenance and upgrades go hand in hand.  I am constantly amazed by the questions
asked and solutions solved that can be directly attributed to failure to keep hardware
and software current (seen a few problems when folks try to stay current too!).  It
just seems basic to me that when your running version X of a software product and the
current shipping version is X + 1 (or more) has known bugs that are impacting your
business, you would do an upgrade first.

Paying support is part of the cost of keeping IBM's interest.  No money, No interest.
In fact, if you want to speed the day when the next upgrade to UniVerse is a porting
kit to DB2, just stop paying support!