If you want to play around with PHP interacting with the Universe
environment in an extremely simple way you can try the stuff below. Note
that I dont recommend this methodology for production systems but its a good
simple example.

The following stuff will execute any Universe command/cataloged program,
pass it data via the command line, and display the results.  Assumptions:
You have a universe account setup as uvtest under your web root on a machine
running apache/php. The lister.html and lister.php files will reside in the
uvtest Universe account directory.

First create an html file (lister.html) containing a form to collect our
program name and any data to be passed to it.  Here is my html:

<head>
<title>
Generic UV Process Runner
</title>
</head>
<center>
<h2>Lets Run A Universe Process</h2>
<hr>
<form bgcolor="white" name="aform" action="lister.php" method="post">
Program Name
<input type=text name="name" size=35>
Some Data
<input type=text name="somedata" size=35>
<input type="submit" value="Submit">
</form>

Now create our PHP file (lister.php):

<head>
<title>Uvtest</title>
</head>
<?php
$name = $_POST[name];
$dat = $_POST[somedata];
$cmdstr = "uv ";
$cmdstr .= $name;
$cmdstr .= " ";
$cmdstr .= $dat;
exec($cmdstr,$returnedstuff,$retval);
foreach($returnedstuff as $oo) {
   echo "$oo <br>";
}
?>

Point your browser to Http://localhost/uvtest/lister.html and happily
execute anything you can do from a UV command line.  I first tested this
with "LIST VOC SAMPLE 5" as the program name and no data entered. If you
construct programs which take command line input and output html code you
can pretty much create a whole application which uses "lister.php" as a
generic data mover.