Thanks to everyone for your thoughtful responses.  I've just returned from a
trip and it will clearly take me sometime to understand them all.

However, from my cursory review I conclude that my proposed advice to analysts
is unreasonable.  My proposed advice would have been to take a judgment from an
expert source with unique data (e.g., Spectral analyst concludes "70% chance of
X"), treat that judgment as a simple item of evidence and perform Bayesian
updating [i.e.,  estimate P("70%"|X) and P("70%"|~X) then apply Bayes rule].

Rather, one should parse the expert's judgment into elements that are unique to
that expert's judgments (the spectral data and spectral knowledge) and elements
that are not unique (common background knowledge about X).  Obtain the
necessary conditional judgments on these unique elements.  Then proceed with
Bayesian updating.

Alternatively one can apply some standardized method for aggregating across
expert judgments.

Both answers are quite reasonable.  Neither is currently practical for the
analysts with whom I'm working/teaching.  We're trying to keep things very
simple.

So we plan to teach them

1.      Basics of Bayes inference and reasoning.

2.      How to update when the evidence is an event

3.      Be cautious when the evidence is an expert's judged interpretation of
an event

Again thanks to all.

Paul Lehner