Hi Doug,
I have the same experiences.
Infact me and my wife got together due to Free software.
I have all my students exclusively use GNU/Linux for all their programming and personal work, they have no problems with it. There are a few states in our country which implement free software as a policy. I will not say that the picture is absolutely rosy, but more and more people with whom I come in daily contact are using the free and open source operating system for every day work now. a few years back, 5 odd years to be presise, hearing some one say "I use linux " was a surprise and a matter of great skillset as it seemd to many people.
But now every other person uses it or at least knows it.
This is what I have been through, I have not used proprietary softwaer or OS since 2005 and I have no regrets at all..
Happy hacking.
Krishnakant.