On Jun 30, 2006, at 5:52 PM, Michiel Sikma wrote:

Op 30-jun-2006, om 17:47 heeft Troy James Sobotka het volgende geschreven:

Huge can of worms.  We talked about this in Paris, and
this is why I brought it up.

I can tell you that 5:4 is pretty common as is 16:9.

Yeah, you're right. Sorry. 5:4 (1280x1024) is commonly used as well. I completely forgot that 5:4 is that resolution for a second. 16:9, however, is only generally used for TV screens. There's just one resolution that uses it, Wide XGA (1366×768), which is an extremely uncommon resolution. 16:10 is the typical widescreen resolution for computer monitors.

Still, I think that up- or downscaling a wallpaper (made for 4:3) without stretching or squishing it or changing the proportions in any way will be fine in most cases. If we make sure that there's nothing interesting at the borders of the image, we might as well cut them off occasionally in order to support some resolutions nicely.

Michiel

I've also been working on a wallpaper. It's coming along nicely, but the colors are too saturated to suit the theme for now.

Here's a downscaled (50%) version of the work-in-progress: http:// thingmajig.org/tmp/wall4(1juli06).jpg

Michiel Sikma
[EMAIL PROTECTED]