since i started this i think i should explain myself. it was not my
intention to ignite the brown vs non-brown argument.
i was saying that for me  as an unexperienced user it would have been
nice back then if human had had the ability to change the "highlight"
colors, because i would have liked the modern ubuntulooks look in
another color (human being the only theme using ubuntulooks), but did
not know how to install themes, like most users won't.

what i am suggesting is something like a theme with BROWN selection
colors that can be changed in the appearance properties.

and about using strong colors in general (as gtk:bg or gtk:base) i think
we should be careful, that can look complicated if applications use
colors to display the content (eg system monitor, or simply thumbnails
in nautilus): let the content shine in colors, not the gui