There is a certain cancerous thinking that goes into designing a default
theme for an OS/distro. I've been working on various possible defaults
for Ubuntu for almost a year now, and many of them were very pleasant to
work with; but I've come to realise that while the palette (brown,
yellow, orange) is important in terms of branding, it is largely
irrelevant in terms of actual usage.

I am not speaking of the sort of user who, like myself, relishes to
customize his virtual desktop environment. I have in mind the folks who
use computers in a professional environment.

Most places I've worked at (Caveat emptor: none of them were IT-centric)
relied on PCs with Windows XP. The default XP theme is decidedly gaudy
and, in my limited experience, the tendency was to switch to the stark
Windows 2000 look. It's not an impressive theme, by any means, but it is
unobtrusive and it gets the job done and, more importantly, allows the
user to ignore it.

Assuming a similar market for Ubuntu--and I am sure a professional
market exists, even if limited--I think there may be a need for a theme
to counterpoint the default. Something grey, dull, perhaps with a pinch
of blue or possibly not; something that gets out of your way.

I understand that this list was created to assist in the brand image of
Ubuntu. I was just wondering if there may also be a need for a "work"
theme; something that simply does not draw attention to itself.

Alex

P.S. From the tone of this e-mail, you may be able to tell that I've
been working on themes along such lines. I was wondering if they would
be an acceptable contribution to the list and to the wiki.