On Tue, 2009-04-28 at 02:10 +0100, Arand Nash wrote:
> Alex Armstrong wrote:
> > .../ Assuming a similar market for Ubuntu--and I am sure a professional
> > market exists, even if limited--I think there may be a need for a theme
> > to counterpoint the default. Something grey, dull, perhaps with a pinch
> > of blue or possibly not; something that gets out of your way. /...
> >

> I very much agree with you there, the human theme, although solid, is
> somewhat intense.
>
> I've actually been working my way, personally, towards something
> similar; using what currently is easy available: New wave borders,
> clearlooks controls and tango icons. I am also going for a mainly light
> theme since _imo_ dark themes are strenuous.
>
> I though you might want to have a look so I'm attaching two examples
> here, first is with clear-looks default colours and one where I've turned
> down the blue considerably... Since even though it marks the
> "interaction areas" nicely, it stands out quite a bit if we are looking
> for a discrete theme.
>
> Is this ~something~ along the lines you were thinking?

I was thinking of a GTK+ theme specifically and then building around
that.

I think that the Tango icons, although the default for GNOME, may be a
little too cute. The Oxygen icon set, or one of its derivatives, with
its emphasis on photorealism may be preferable.

I have several objections to the default clearlooks, even in your
rendition. The most fundamental is that it's too bright. This creates
all sorts of "annoyances", such as the fact that, for example, the
spread of values on the top half of a button is much less than the
bottom half, creating a lopsided appearance; and if there's prelight, it
gets even worse. A darker background in general (I like a value of 85,
or a little less if you add saturation) seems preferable when working
for long hours.

As noted on another post in this thread, one of the things that a "work"
theme has absolutely got to be is "formal" (whatever one may mean by
that). For example, I think the desaturated blue to be a step in that
direction.

Alex