Hi all,

As the main map.ubuntu-be.org developper, I totally agree with Wouter
even if it's not obvious when looking at my work and the code we
produced.

My idea as always been that someday, the code to register users and
edit their profiles will disappear and that the various models will be
used as bridge between the map code and the chosen "user management
engine". When Ubuntu-be choose a web site engine/framework/whatever
with open users registration and customizable profile, I will start to
work on this integration. It has always been my goals.

On 5/17/07, Wouter Horré <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I would like to give my opinion on the website thing. I will not comment on
> the drupal vs ubuntu-nl thing directly. I will only give my general opinion
> on website development.
>
> I think developing a website from scratch is not a good idea anymore these
> days. There are a lot of good content management systems available, so idealy
> a website should built on such a solid base.
>
> To give an example: when I helped writing some code for the
> support-points-map, I had the feeling we were reimplementing functionality
> that has been implemented a thousand times before... (no offense). We were
> implementing a profile system while, for instance, Drupal has a profile
> system that can be easily extended with new fields.
>
> For example: the User Control Center we are developing at ULYSSIS
> (https://ucc.ulyssis.org/) is completely built using Drupal modules.
>
> just my 2 cents
> Wouter
>

> On Wednesday 16 May 2007 12:05:09 Cedric Janssens wrote:
> > Dears,
> >
> > Some time ago we've talk about a revamping of the website, eventually
> > changing the CMS.
> >
> > If the choice of drupal is taken, this link could me interesting :
> >
> > https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Templates
> >
> > Regards
> > Cedric
>

> --
> http://wouter.horre.be/
>
> --

mongolito404, king of the mongolian people