Dimitry, thanks for this helpful summary.  A couple of questions:

On Mon, Dec 23, 2013 at 6:38 AM, Dmitry Shachnev <mity...@ubuntu.com> wrote:

After all these issues are resolved, we can stop patching apps to
remove headerbar usage.

At that point, will unpatched apps that use GtkHeaderBar automatically have a dark (in Ambiance) titlebar containing the application name and close/minimize/maximize buttons? Or will they look like GNOME 3 Adwaita applications (silver, no titlebar with the application name)?

(For the apps in the default install, we want consistency and useful global menu, so we will continue using old UI there).

What, precisely, does "old UI" mean in this context?

adam