On Sat, 2009-12-26 at 18:37 +0100, Markus Hitter wrote:

> That's what I often do. As a rule of thumb, if there's more than one
> way to achieve a goal, there's too much functionality.
>
> Not exactly mainstream, I know. By profession I'm a mechanical
> designer and there the cost of redundant stuff is much higher. But
> even for software, the cost of redundant functionality is above zero.

I didn't think we were talking about redundant behaviour, that's poor
design, high entropic complexity and repeated structural complexity.

That's a specific pattern, kind of an apropos of nothing to what I was
talking about.

What did you think I was saying? that we should repeat functionality
ad-nausium as a sort of bad replacement for actual advancement?

Martin,