Am 26.12.2009 um 18:47 schrieb Martin Owens:

> On Sat, 2009-12-26 at 18:37 +0100, Markus Hitter wrote:
>
>> That's what I often do. As a rule of thumb, if there's more than one
>> way to achieve a goal, there's too much functionality.
> [...]
> What did you think I was saying? that we should repeat functionality
> ad-nausium as a sort of bad replacement for actual advancement?

Well, that's what I often see. Not with the intention of repeating
functionality, of course, but not caring about repeatings, either.

Examples:

OpenSSL. Endless man pages, wrapper tools for hiding 90% of the stuff.

F-Spot. Instead of removing the "Viewer Mode", (almost?) all
functions of Editor Mode are now added to Viewer Mode as well.

Image viewers: Instead of improving F-Spot to be the best thought
reference, half a dozen additional image viewers pop up, each of them
obviously created from scratch.

To get back to the initial topic, instead of paying people to write
tools for taming complexity, paying people for getting rid of unused
stuff would be even better.

Markus

Dipl. Ing. Markus Hitter
http://www.jump-ing.de/